Club Notes 30/6/2017

u21 Hurling

U21 Hurlers win County Title Padraig Pearses 3-16 Four Roads 2-10 Our U21 hurlers defeated Four Roads in the County Final on Tuesday evening to achieve 4 in a row county titles. Having previously achieved a 3 in a row in 97, 98 and 99 this is the first time in the clubs history that our U21 hurlers have won 4 county titles in a row. Despite winning by 6 points in the end this was an intense and hard fought match that could have gone to either side. Pearses started the match brilliantly with a goal after 30 seconds from Jamie Curley who reacted quickest to bat the ball to the Four Roads net after it was saved by the Four Roads keeper. This was quickly followed by a Daniel Glynn free to give Pearses a four point lead after just 2 minutes. Four Roads replied with a point but from the puck out Shane Downey pointed from play from a tight angle. It was point for point for the remainder of the half with Four Roads getting some long distances scores with the aid of the breeze to leave the half time score 1-7 to 9 points, Shane Downey getting another point from play, Daniel Glynn getting 3(2F) and Jamie Donoghue getting the last score of the half just before half time. Daniel Glynn got the first point of the second half with a point from play to start the half brightly for Pearses however Four Roads dominated the next 10 mins getting two goals to lead by four points with 20 minutes remaining. At this stage Four Roads were packing their defence making it very difficult for the Pearses forwards to gain possession. However cometh the hour, cometh the man and this certainly could be applied to the Pearses team for the remainder of the match. The backs settled, started to dominate their opponents and started use the ball better. The midfielders and forwards upped their work rate and never stop trying for scores despite the intense pressure from the Four Roads backs. Andrew Flood was introduced at wing forward and reenergized the middle third for Pearses. Daniel Glynn got a point from play and a free before Jamie Curley ran on to a breaking ball on the Four Roads 21, soloed clear and blasted the ball to the roof of the Four Roads net giving the keeper no chance and regaining the lead for Pearses. This was followed with a Point from Andrew Flood and a Matthew Feehily goal on the 52nd minute giving Pearses a four point lead. 2 Further points from Daniel Glynn(1F) finished off the Pearses scoring. Four Roads battled to the end and had a goal disallowed for a square ball with time nearly up. Well done to the lads who did the club proud with the determination and attitude shown to battle back from 4 points down and win. Man of the Match Daniel Glynn who got 4 points from play despite being double marked for most of the match collected the cup on behalf of the Pearses Team to round off a historic evening for the club. K. Kelly, A. Carty, E. Costello, M. Comerford, O. Kelly, K. Feehily, T. McEvilly, S. Downey (0-2), L. Feehily (0-1), E. Galvin, D. Glynn (0-9, 5F), P. Downey, J. Curley (2-0), J. Donoghue (0-1), S. Dunne. Subs: M.Feehily (1-0) for T. McEvilly, A. Flood (0-1) for S. Dunne, A. Johnston for P. Downey. A. Kelly, M. Haynes.


Lottery Because of Roscommons involvement in Croke Park, The Draw is deferred to Monday night, The results will be included next week

Older Post Newer Post